I have chosen this age for my target audience as when reasearching I found that this was the typical age who listened to Florence and the Machine.
However, I also found that an older generation, around 35+, enjoy Florence and the Machine due to the broad genres that the album covers and also that the the music is similar to old female artists.
I am going to attract my target audience by using the typical conventions and styles used by similar genres and also by the positive portrayal of Florence.
I conducted a questionnaire as part of my research into music videos, but also in order to gain information about what my target audience likes. I asked 30 people, many who fit my target audience, but I also expanded it to outside of my target audience so I could access a deeper insight.
Here is an example of one of my questionnaires:
Some of the most important questions and their results are shown below:
"How often do you watch music videos?"

"How do you tend to view music videos?"

"What do you feel makes a music video keep you interested throughout the whole video?"

"What do you think about music videos in the Indie/Rock-Pop genre?"

"What do you think about music videos by Florence and the Machine?"
I asked these types of questions to enable me to understand where people tended to watch music videos, what they found good about music videos and particuarly to find out what they thought about music videos by Florence and the Machine and by similar genres.
My results showed me that most of my sample watch music videos everyday and that they tend to view them through a range of music channels. The most popular music channels from my questionnaire were MTV Rock, MTV Dance and NME. I believe that music channels are the most common form for watching music videos due to nearly every house hold having cable TV, which therefore makes viewing much easier and more efficient than Youtube where you have to wait for music videos to upload.
Most of my sample find that a good storyline in a music video is what makes it interesting. Original concepts in a music video are what keep audience watching throughout, and often they are so good that the music video is abled to be watched over and over several times, without the viewer getting bored.
The question "Why do you think that iconic music videos, such as Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen and Thriller by Michael Jackson, are seen as great?" helped me to see why other people believed why such music videos became iconic. Some example anwsers include:
"I think it's because they have different ideas to other videos - most videos now are influenced by them. Also thy never get boring when you watch them over and over - they're timeless."
"I reckon they're iconic because they're just really out there and bizarre which makes them stick in the mind."
The result of this question helps me to understand what makes a music video good enough to watch again and again, with the concept still being intriguing for viewers. I need to make sure that my music video will be good enough for my audience to enjoy time and time again.
Some people thought that a comedic storyline was important, for example one person's favourite music video was Learn to Fly by Foo Fighters, where the band members dress up as many different characters.
A few others felt that voyeurism is important in a music video. All the people who ticked this were male, and one person who ticked it said that there favourite music video was Sexy Chick by David Guetta and the reason for this was due to the "many sexy ladies".
By asking people what they thought about Indie/Rock-Pop music videos I was able to see how popular they are. More than half of my sample think that this genre of music videos are "usually really good". I then asked people what they thought about music videos by Florence and the Machine. The results of these two questions show me what kind of reputation the videos have among my target audience.


No comments:
Post a Comment