Saturday, 2 October 2010

Background research on "Florence + the Machine" and "Drumming Song"

Florence + the Machine - aka Florence Welsh - is a 24 year old singer-song writer from London.

"Drumming Song" is from her first album, "Lungs" that was released in July 2009. This album reached number 1 in the UK and 17 in the USA. Within one month it sold over 100,000 copies.

The song was released on 13th September, 2009 with Island Records. NME named the song '48th Best Track of 2009'. They said "In 'Drumming Song' she created possibly one of the most intensely passionate and physically aching love song we've ever heard."

"Drumming Song" is a very passionate love song that produces a lot of gothic-fairytale imagery. Welsh describes her song as "...when there’s that electricity between you and a boy, and it is completely unspoken. When they’re standing in front of you, you can’t breathe, can’t think, you can’t do anything properly”. She also states how "the music is quite intense" and that the song has "really Gothic imagery".

To produce a gothic feel in my music video, I am going to film mainly in a wood or forest setting and perhaps a churchyard. The colours and costumes will be mostly dark to reflect the dark nature of the lyrics. There will be shots of a boy portraying the singers “love-interest”, helping to emphasise the passionate aspect of the song.

The instruments used in the song are drums, an organ, a piano, a bass, a violin, viola, cello and a harp. I do not own any of these instruments; however I am going to try and get a set of African drums as I feel they will fit in well the song and compliment the video but I need to ensure that this will not make the video cheesy.

The video was nominated "Best Video" for the Q Awards and it also won "Best Styling in a Video" at the UK Music Video Awards. Personally, I do not greatly like the video, although I do think it portrays the lyrics rather well and that her dark outfit does look really good. I will try to convey Florence's great love for fashion in my music video.

The main audience that listens to Florence + the Machine are females typically aged 15 to 24. This will influence my target audience, who will also be females of the ages 15 to 24. I will target them not just through the song and the video, but by a positive portrayal of “Florence”.

No comments:

Post a Comment