My music video uses many forms and conventions of a real music video. For example, my video is mainly performance based, with a slight underlying
concept that is presented at the beginning of the video.
concept that is presented at the beginning of the video.
It follows most of Goodwin's Key Features of a music video, such as representing genre characteristics, having relationships between lyrics and visuals and a relationship between music and visuals.
The shots of Florence singing are not continuous as they are broken up by other clips that tell a story or are related to the lyrics, which is a feature of music videos.
I feel that I challenged one Key Feature, that being particular voyeuristic treatment of the female body and the notion of looking. I felt that this song does not relate to this feature as the lyrics are not that way inclined, so I therefore did not want my video to be like it.
I believe my video shares several characteristics of similar genres, which my research into other similar artists and their videos helped with. I feel that the dark colours I used on my digipak and in my video, and the use of natural environments are very similar. Also the use of an underlying concept that is not quite obvious is common in this genre. However I have tried to challenge some of the typical characteristics of videos in this genre, such as the voyeurism shown by other female artists of the genre.
I think that my video does fulfil the main functions of a music video as it is promoting both the song and the stars. It is effective at promoting the song and the artist, for example I have included a large amount of close ups. Also the fact that I have tried to make it not voyeuristic means that Florence is represented in a positive way which will allow her to be seen as a positive role model for girls, especially of a young age. It promotes the song by using montage editing that puts emphasis on the lyrics, such as "I ran to the tower", "I run to the river" and the Heaven and Hell lyrics by use of certain visuals.
I believe the pace of my video is appropriate to the song. I have used quite long clips, especially for the verses, as i preferred this to the original Drumming Song video, which I felt had too many short clips. However, I have used quite short clips for the chorus to make the pace faster to match the music. They cut on the beat to make it more effective. I also used short clips of the narrative storyline for the very dramatic drumming parts of the song. I tried to do disjunctive editing, so my performance and narrative was broken up, making viewers focus on the music as well as the visuals.
I also feel that my digipak resembles a real one due to features such as the use of real labels, for example the label for Island Records and Moshi Moshi Records. I also researched the typical Legal Content that albums have, for example the copyright and the information of who produced and wrote the songs, and what you cannot do with the CD, such as reproduction, hiring and public performance. I used the information in the original Florence and the Machine digipak to help me get my information as realistic as possible.








No comments:
Post a Comment